My hubby sent me a link to an MSN article titled, "Best Part-Time Jobs for 2009". While people are laid off, seeking jobs, and trying to make ends meet...just like us...we've been discussing how to help ourselves and others. This article is his way of helping out. (Thanks, Honey.)
Part-time jobs you can consider to supplement your current income or just to start with some sort of income include:
- massage therapist
- fitness trainers
- bill and account collector
- librarian (I don't think this job is available on island)
- cashier
- nursing aide (Check out Guam Community College for the NA program. You can complete in one semester with 4 classes, I believe. Call 735-5632.)
- dental assistant
- receptionist or information clerk
- teacher assistant (I believe there are some prerequisites for this job.)
- bank teller
Remember, we're talking part-time job and second source of income here. To read the full MSN article, click on the blog title above.
Another blog I read yesterday talks about planning and budgeting to get your finances in order for 2009. If you're like me, the plan can be great, but action is lacking. Another year, another plan...and I will try harder this year (I tell myself).
The blog talks about 10 steps to getting on track with your finances. They are as follows and I've added my own tidbits. I also need to find the URL so I can include here to give the author credit. I'll post it as soon as I find it.
ADD-ON: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/01/05/9-methods-for-mastering-your-money-in-2009/
1. track every penny you spend; keep track of cash flow...write down every penny spent to see where your cash goes
2. develop a budget...there are many, many budget templates online, find one and use it...here you can use the rule of 3 (33% needs 33% wants 33% savings), or the author provides other budgets as follows:
Option A: no credit cards, invest 20% of earnings and never touch it, and live on remaining 80% no matter what
Option B: 60% for committed expenses, 10% retirement, 10% irregular/unexpected expenses, 10% long-term savings/debt (car, house, etc.), and 10% fun money (I think I like this one.)
Option C: 50% needs, 20% savings, 30% wants (I think I like this one even better.)
Choose what works for you, otherwise you won't stick to it.
3. optimize your accounts; bank with institutions that don't charge annual fees and open accounts that reward you and pay interest for depositing your money with them.
4. start an emergency fund...start slowly by getting $1,000 in savings, then attack your debt by paying those with higher interest first (This is a real goal for me this year.)
5. get out of debt...duh
6. fund your retirement (I opened an IRA last year...first steps count.)
7. automate your finances; pay bills online and make whatever deductions automatic so you don't "feel" it.
8. earn extra income (see part-time jobs above)...another option is getting a business license and offering your professional services...yard work, computer help, training, clerical...anything you're good at...find people willing to pay for what you know or can do for them. Put the extra income in savings or use to pay debt off faster.
9. educate yourself (I'm working on my bachelor's and will be done Fall this year. With times being so tough, I'm tempted to take the year off, but my hubby won't let me. We make it a point to think of the long-term and education is an investment, not an expense. It's sandwiches and soba for the year!)
10. Take control of spending and money. Schedule a personal money day. Take a day off to review finances and make sure you know what's happening. Change budget (plan) as your situation changes.
Again, if you're like me...trying to make ends meet, run a business, get an education, be a good wife, and fulfill every other role women take on...it has to be important to get control of our money. Let's make 2009 the year we do this.
Suggestions? Comments? I'd love to hear from you.
V
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Publisher
- Publisher
- Publisher, Certified Manager, community volunteer for PBS Guam, Guam Public Library System, and Guam Community College; GCC alumni; undergrad at Capella University; loves technology, sharing skills and knowledge with others, helping others succeed, spending time with family and friends, and making a difference
No comments:
Post a Comment