Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Education Journey

I decided to go to college in the summer of 2005, almost 20 years after high school graduation. My hubby and I registered at GCC and our life's journey has been very exciting and motivating since then. Even with all the financial hardship, it has proven worthy.

I'm scheduled to complete my undergraduate courses December this year... bachelor's in business administration with Capella University. It continues to prove a worthwhile decision. My hubby completed his unfinished associate's degree in computer science with GCC and will attack his bachelor's when I am done with mine. At the same time, I will be pursuing my MBA. I'm looking into scholarships to help defer costs, but I'm definitely going to invest in this goal. The PhD thingy is still a debate. It depends where I'm at at that time in my life.

The timing is right to pursue higher education. Everywhere I look...online, in magazines, on TV, radio...people are talking about higher education. Sometimes, just for a minute, I think about where I'd be if I'd done this a long time ago. Then again, I don't believe I would be acing courses and participating at the level I'm able to now. My work and personal experiences the last 20 years make a world of difference. They are vital to the quality of contributions I make in the class and in my work.

Don't get me wrong. I encourage all high school students to choose college over work...get in there as soon as possible and take your place in the world. Higher education promises higher salaries, but more importantly it promises to bring out the best in you. You are the light of the world...a model for others. I'm enjoying myself and all the new people I meet, even online. It's incredible and I know you'll agree with me, that the friends and colleagues we make are invaluable.

Worried about the expense? Don't waste your time with worry. Visit or call a college and speak to a financial aid advisor. Tell them what you want and your concerns about paying for courses. They'll take it from there. For you more independent people, visit www.fafsa.gov. Just make sure you have your previous year's income tax return forms to provide required information. Apply online and get a response within three work days. Once approved, aid is good for an entire school year...summer to spring. I love this part.

Worried about what to major in? Again, don't worry about this. You can figure it out as you move forward. Speak to an advisor or counselor. They help you figure these things out and will help you plan your academic journey. I recommend completing all general education requirements first, then you can move into what I call the fun stuff. Many students try to delay doing English and math classes. Get it done and move on.

For those of you who've done it, share your experience with at least one person today. Encourage them to pursue a degree and offer your support.

Thanks for allowing me to share some personal experiences with you. Peace.

www.capella.edu
www.guamcc.edu
www.uog.edu

No comments:

About Publisher

My photo
Publisher, Certified Manager, community volunteer for PBS Guam, Guam Public Library System, and Guam Community College; GCC alumni; undergrad at Capella University; loves technology, sharing skills and knowledge with others, helping others succeed, spending time with family and friends, and making a difference