Sunday, December 7, 2008

Frugal ...not a dirty word

Here are some tips from "The Happy Cheapskate" by Reader's Digest (www.readersdigest.com) that will help keep some money IN your pocket.

Feeding Family For Less:
1. Choose choice cuts over expensive marble prime cuts of beef.
2. Buy large eggs; shell color does not affect quality.
3. Freeze unused whites and yolks.
4. Use brown bananas...duh, on Guam we make yummy banana donuts. Brown peel means riper and sweeter.
5. Buy frozen juice over the gallon.
6. Vegetable puree...save all the cuttings of veggies, puree & freeze them for use in soups and sauces.
7. Make your own specialty coffee instead of paying $2-$5!! Try Latin-brand espressos, imported Mexican coffees, add a pinch of salt to regular ground coffee, add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or grated orange zest before brewing.
8. Get free recipies from foodnetwork.com for leftovers and eat like a star.

Savvy Shopper:
1. Grocery stores - make shopping list & stick to it, stay on the outer perimeter for your needs.
2. Learn sales patterns of your favorite stores and never pay full price again.
3. Look up and down...less expensive brands are on upper and lower shelves.
4. Check price per pound, always.
5. Use coupons

For tips, visit Reader's Digest or search online for savings on specific items. While we want to support our local business people, you can find great deals online with free shipping...

Have any more "happy" tips? Share them here!

2 comments:

shweetpotato said...

I actually do my grocery shopping online at Albertsons.com. Its costs me 12.95 for delivery but its so much easier to NOT buy impulse items and stick with what you have on your list.In the stores I have a hard time staying away from those sale items that I dont need :D Carm

Publisher said...

Hi Carm! I liked shopping at Albertsons when I lived in Sacramento. I did not know they had a delivery service, but I really like the idea and the fee is minimal especially if it keeps us from spending an extra $50-100 on stuff we did not plan for. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas! V

About Publisher

My photo
Publisher, Certified Manager, community volunteer for PBS Guam, Guam Public Library System, and Guam Community College; GCC alumni; undergrad at Capella University; loves technology, sharing skills and knowledge with others, helping others succeed, spending time with family and friends, and making a difference